Options   View topic - Acute Bronchitis: Alternative Treatment Eliminates Chronic

Board index  >  Bronchitis Cure  >  Bronchitis Symptoms

Post a reply
Acute Bronchitis: Alternative Treatment Eliminates Chronic

Acute Bronchitis: Alternative Treatment Eliminates Chronic
by thomas90 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:12 am

Acute Bronchitis - Alternative Treatment Eliminates Chronic Bronchitis

First, The Cause: Acute bronchitis may become chronic if it is not properly treated and relieved. When a cold is allowed to continue, the infection may extend down into the lungs and become chronic. Occasionally, if it is not cured, it may encourage the development of tuberculosis or some other serious chronic lung disease.

"Side Effects"

It cleanses the blood and can be used healing most everything as it boosts the immune system. Licorice: Used for lung and throat problems. Bronchitis, coughs and congestion, ect. It has been shown to support antiviral activity, support the stress response, as well as inflammatory response We were actually wondering how to get about to writing about Acute Bronchitis. However once we started writing, the words just seemed to flow continuously!

"Side Effects"

It's a good remedy for many health problems. It could almost be called a "cure-all." It's good for colds, influenza, asthma, coughs. It soothes nerves, help liver and kidneys, and helps most all stomach problems. It is with much interest that we got about to write on Acute Bronchitis. So we do hope that you too read this article with the same, if not more interest! :o.

Some forms of stomach trouble may be a cause of bronchitis and even pneumonia. This is particularly true of those persons who bring up acid and other stomach contents into the mouth while asleep, and then aspirate it into their lungs. A rolling stone gathers no moss. So if I just go on writing, and you don't understand, then it is of no use of me writing about Acute Bronchitis! Whatever written should be understandable by the reader.

Soon, Clothes With Tiny Circles Burned Into the Fabric Became the Norm

I couldn't breathe easily if I walked further than out to my car. I couldn't play ball with my children; I didn't have the breath. Many times I decided to quit. And I would, for two or three hours. By the end of the second year, I had had three bouts of pneumonia. Accept the way things are in life. Only then will you be able to accept these points on Bronchitis. Bronchitis can be considered to be part and parcel of life. :roll:

Was Terrified

If I had not wakened from the smell of burning fabric, I might have died, or at least been badly burned. The new skirt I was wearing had eight holes burned through it. The folds of fabric had protected my skin until I awoke. When I realized that I had risked my life, and ruined a brand new skirt, anger replaced the terror I felt--anger at myself. Ignorance is bliss they say. However, do you find this practical when you read so much about Bronchitis?

"Suck the Salt Off and Spit Out the Seeds," He Said

"Salt cuts the craving for nicotine." It worked. For six weeks, I carried sunflower seeds around with me. Anytime I started to crave a cigarette, I popped four or five sunflower seeds in my mouth. The times I felt foolish for constantly having sunflower seeds in my mouth, I would just remember the new skirt I had thrown away. Don't misunderstand. Quitting cigarettes was the hardest thing I ever did, but I was more determined than I had ever been.

Nicotine Stained Fingers, Face, and Teeth are Just the Beginning

Besides the offensive smell, there is the layer of nicotine that stains everything in the smoker's home:, furniture, walls, carpets, everything. On several different occasions, both my parents were extremely sick with illnesses directly attributable to smoking, eventually culminating in lung cancer for my dad. Cigarettes were so important to them, that they budgeted the smokes in with groceries. If money was tight, we ate beans and potatoes, but they never did without cigarettes. I promised myself in my teens that I would never smoke. I broke that promise sometime in the summer of 1981. Make the best use of life by learning and reading as much as possible. read about things unknown, and more about things known, like about Chronic Bronchitis.

Don't remember the day I started smoking, but I'll never forget the day I stopped. On June 2, 1986, I dumped the worst habit I have ever had. Was it worth it? You bet. I no longer have pneumonia every year. Though bronchitis still bothers me on occasion, and I have chronic asthma, most of the time I can breathe without trouble. Best of all, my husband quit, too, within a month of the date that I quit. We have had a smoke free home for more than 20 years, and we have both benefitted from it. life is short. Use it to its maximum by utilizing whatever knowledge it offers for knowledge is important for all walks of life. Even the crooks have to be intelligent!

Learning to Smoke Was Difficult for Me

I had so many reasons not to, that I really had to push to get it done. After years and years of second hand smoke exposure, my health began to deteriorate immediately. By the end of the first year, I had chronic bronchitis. Cigarettes became a crutch. If life was stressful, I smoked. If I was ill, I smoked. If everything was great, I smoked. My habit was so bad, I couldn't drive down the street or cook a meal without smoking. The first thing I did in the morning was light a cigarette. The last thing I did at night was put one out. Whenever one reads any reading matter, it is vital that the person enjoys reading it. One should grasp the meaning of the matter, only then can it be considered that the reading is complete.

Each person is looking for a sign that may have a significant meaning to his life. When he wants something and is not sure whether he will pursue it or not, he would usually stop and ask for a certain sign. Even when the Lord Jesus was born, the sign was a star that led the magi to his manger. Different signs for different events or happenings take place everyday.

Bronchitis shows signs similar to other upper infections of the respiratory tract which includes soreness, burning feeling or constriction in the chest, congestion, sore throat, wheezing, breathlessness, overall malaise, chills and with slight fever. This is why bronchitis may be misdiagnosed for other respiratory infections like chronic sinusitis because the signs felt by the individual are very similar. Chronic sinusitis is an infection in your nose' bone, and one of its signs include a green or yellow, thick postnasal discharge coupled with unceasing cough. This is usually triggered when an individual tries to clear mucus from his or her throat. ;)

Acute bronchitis is a mild or moderate form of bronchitis while chronic bronchitis is a severe condition that needs appropriate medication and treatment. Each type of bronchitis can be easily determined by physicians or doctors because of the different signs and symptoms exhibited by the patient. Opportunity knocks once. So when we got the opportunity to write on Asthmatic Bronchitis, we did not let the opportunity slip from our hands, and got down to writing on Asthmatic Bronchitis.

Chronic Bronchitis Signs

- productive and persistent cough - excessive mucus secretion in airways - mild fever and chest pain - breathlessness - has acute bronchitis episodes - winter cough that disappears in summer Coordinating matter regarding to Symptoms Bronchitis took a lot of time. However, with the progress of time, we not only gathered more matter, we also learnt more about Symptoms Bronchitis.

Signs and symptoms of diseases serve as a warning to patients having the illness. Once you do experience some of the signs, then you can immediately seek the help of a physician or doctor. This way, you can prevent complications and be able to treat the disease at an early stage. Look for a reputable and experienced doctor to get the proper diagnosis. :oops:

When you already have bronchitis, whether acute or chronic, you should refrain from eating dairy products because these things increase mucus secretion and can aggravate the infection. By eating dairy products, the bacteria multiply quickly. :idea:

You want to further improve the bronchitis signs that you feel, you can use pepper, garlic, and stock (from chicken) especially if you have acute bronchitis. This aids in the dilution of mucus, as well as its elimination. You can also put yourself under eucalyptus therapy to calm the irritation in your lungs and bronchial tubes to improve respiration. Apply warm compresses and take warm baths to clear mucus and help in stabilizing the breathing process. And if you're a smoker, you'd better quit as soon as possible and take the necessary precautions. Also try to avoid second-hand smoke because it's even more harmful.

Acute Bronchitis Signs

- similar to that of cold symptoms - wheezing - painful cough - chest and throat pain - fever - coughs up pus - generally unwell This article will help you since it is a comprehensive study on Signs Symptoms Bronchitis.

Most Worshipped Plant in Hindu Culture

It has a mythological background as tulsi is considered as lord Krishna's wife. Literal meaning of tulsi is incomparable so as the name suggest, it really has properties that are incomparable with any other herb. Every thing mentioned in Indian mythology has a scientific background. So as the culture of planting tulsi in center of court yard in Hindu homes. It is a strong belief that those who plant tulsi in there houses never get ill, as it is very lovable to lord Krishna and lord Krishna has blessed this herb with this property. Scientific reason of this story is that tulsi contains such a chemical composition that no mosquitoes and flies can come near the plant because of it s peculiar odor. Thereby by planting tulsi in courtyard prevents entry of these creatures in house thus rendering home safe from any diseases caused by these organisms. :D.

Tulsi because of its great healing property has been indicated in variety of diseases. Being ushan (hot) in potency it is regarded as vata and kapha suppressant, hence all the diseases caused by vata and kapha can be treated with the help of tulsi. Writing an article on Bronchitis Asthmatic was our foremost priority while thinking of a topic to write on. This is because Bronchitis Asthmatic are interesting parts of our lives, and are needed by us.

Some Home Remedies for Tulsi

' Power of seed of tulsi when taken with water gives great results in menstrual disorder ' Root of tulsi is powdered and kept overnight in water, if taken daily early morning proves to be very beneficial in diabetes. The results of one reading this composition is a good understanding on the topic of Bronchitis Asthmatic. So do go ahead and read this to learn more about Bronchitis Asthmatic.

It is said that if one tulsi leaf if swallowed daily, that person never suffers from cancer. Know more about Tulsi- Basil, Holy Basil (Tulsi) Benefits, Research, Uses, Supplements and Brahmi, Bacopa Monnieri, Brahmi Benefits, Improves Memory, Mental Alertness, Stress, Brain Tonic by visiting ***** Tulsi is being used in variety of herbal ayurvedic formulations. Most dominantly it is used in bronchitis and asthmatic conditions. It gives great relief in cough especially one predominated by kapha. Remember that it is very important to have a disciplined mode of writing when writing. This is because it is difficult to complete something started if there is no discipline in writing especially when writing on Bronchitis Asthmatic :shock:

Powder of tulsi leaves added with saunth (dried ginger) and sugar when taken with hot water is a famous remedy for fever. ' A Tulsi seed processed in castor oil is very effective remedy for hair lice problem. It is only through sheer determination that we were able to complete this composition on Bronchitis Asthmatic. Determination, and regular time table for writing helps in writing essays, reports and articles.

Tulsi Finds Great Importance in Respiratory Tract Disease

It gives marvelous results in upper respiratory tract infection (URTI). As mentioned earlier that it acts rigorously on kapha hence it works as good expectorant relieving from wet cough. It also finds its good use in bronchitis and asthmatic conditions. It helps to fight the cause of allergy by which our respiratory tract gets inflamed and then resolves the causative agent. Good results have also been seen in anti-tubercular treatment as it works as antibiotic eliminating the bacteria. It also shows good results in chest pains. Tulsi finds great use in fever as it act as antipyretic, pain reliever, and provides strength to our body.

The Post 9 Stretches in 9 Minutes for Complete Lower Back Pain Relief

As we begin with the skin problems, as mentioned earlier it acts as anti bacterial and anti parasitic, therefore is widely used in infectious diseases. It act on nervous system providing them strength, relieves stress and also helps in relieving pain, as it is vata suppressant. It work as appetizer and promotes digestion by helping in secretion of digestive enzymes. It helps in preventing flatulence and avoids constipated stool. It also keeps check on any infection that might invade our digestive system. Tulsi is also seen very useful in heart disease. It provides strength to heart and helps in proper working. It also helps to detoxify any toxin that might be circulating through our body via blood thereby have the property to purify blood. :evil:

Some beneficial results were also seen in diabetes and micturation related problems. It also acts as an antidote for many poisons. Tulsi is known to possess anti-cancerous properties. It is only because that we are rather fluent on the subject of Bronchitis Asthmatic that we have ventured on writing something so influential on Bronchitis Asthmatic like this! :o.

Biological name of tulsi is Ocimum sanctum and in common English language it is called holy basil. This herb is commonly found everywhere in India. Plant height varies from 2 - 4 ft. It flowers in winter season i.e. about December to February. It contains some biological active chemical compounds like ursolic acid, luteolin and apigenin extracted from leaves. Herb has katu and tickt rasa predominance. It is ushan (hot) virya in potency. It has laghu (light) and ruksh (dry) properties. Its major act is of as krimighan (anti bacterial and anti parasitic). Plant parts used are leaves, flower, seeds and root. We were furnished with so many points to include while writing about Bronchitis Asthmatic that we were actually lost as to which to use and which to discard!

Re: Acute Bronchitis: Alternative Treatment Eliminates Chron
by thomas90 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:37 pm

Pneumonia Bronchitis - Find Out What the Herb Lobelia can Do for You

Lobelia is more commonly known as the Indian Tobacco, Emetic Herb, Pike Weed, Gagroot, Vomitroot, etc. The parts we consume or apply through tincture and infusions are the leaves, tops and seeds. It is found throughout the United States.

External Use

Lobelia is a valuable ingredient in all forms of poultices where relaxation is desired. Infusions or alcoholic extracts may be used or powdered Lobelia substituted. It well combines with flax-seed or slippery elm in the relief of insect bites, bruises and sprains and of various pains. People are inclined to think that some matter found here that is pertaining to Bronchitis Tonsillitis is false. However, rest is assured, all that is written here is true!

Unfortunately and most unjustly, Lobelia has been, and continues to be, labeled a poison. If this is to indicate that an unlimited amount may not be prescribed without harmful reactions then such labelling is justified, otherwise not. To find more useful articles on herbs, please visit Herbal-Nutrition-Supplements-Guide.com. :roll:

Conclusion Lobelia is one of Nature's few dual agents in the relief of human ailments. It is both a relaxant and a stimulant; depending altogether on how it is prescribed. So many claims have been made for this agent, and so many more could be honestly made for it where its virtues fully understood, that it has been most unfortunately called a quack remedy.

Respiratory Disorders

In chronic respiratory disorders it increases or decreases the secretions according to the dosage. In dry, barking or hacking coughs where mucous rales are heard and there is difficulty in raising the sputum, Lobelia is most valuable, and is equally serviceable in chronic coughs if combined with other indicated agents. It is of great service in the coughs of measles where sluggish circulation is present and eruptions are slow to appear or fail to fully develop.

Internal Use

The action of Lobelia is upon the central nervous system. It is generally classed as a gastro-intestinal irritant because in sufficiently large doses it produces irritation. The action of small doses is upon the cardiac area, slowing heart action and is followed generally by a more or less accelerated pulse. The action of small, frequent doses is to stimulate; of large doses to first relax and is followed by stimulation to organic action. Small doses stimulate digestion, the secretions and poor circulation. :evil:

Useful for Lobelia has been known to control symptoms such as asthma, bronchitis, infantile convulsions, epilepsy, hemorrhagic diphtheria, acute heart attacks, heatstroke, hysteria, migraine, ovarian spasms, intestine spasms, spinal meningitis, tetanus, tonsillitis, whooping cough.

Copyright & Disclaimer Statement This article was written by Lilian Chia and may be reproduced on any herbs/health-related website provided this copyright statement is displayed unedited in its entirety at the foot of the article and you use the exact same HTML code to ensure a clickable link back to the author's site. Further articles are also available. Contact the author for more information. As we got to writing on Bronchitis Tonsillitis, we found that the time we were given to write was inadequate to write all that there is to write about Bronchitis Tonsillitis! So vast are its resources.

Measles & Influenza

In measles, Lobelia causes determination of the blood to the skin and promotes tardy eruptions and helps to reestablish when dangerous retrocession occurs for some reason. Lobelia is an invaluable agent in all stages of influenza; is a vital stimulant; regulates imperfect circulation and controls cough and expectoration. With people wanting to learn more about Bronchitis, it has provided the necessary incentive for us to write this interesting article on Bronchitis!

Our Experience

With Lobelia is not an express or implied warranties, representations or endorsements whatsoever with respect to any products or services that may be referenced, described, or to which our web site may provide a hyperlink to from time to time. Improper use of any drug may produce undesirable symptoms. Copyright ' www.Herbal-Nutrition-Supplements-Guide.com ;)

Powdered Lobelia is well combined with lard and applied warm in acute thoracic diseases or any form of soreness of the chest. Lobelia in any form may be effectively combined with other agents and used in the pains and inflammation present in pneumonia, broncho-pneumonia, bronchitis, tonsillitis, arthritis, inflammatory rheumatism and for all localized pains in the joints' and muscular structures. We have not actually resorted to roundabout means of getting our message on Bronchitis through to you. All the matter here is genuine and to the point. :oops:

Writer once said that every time medical science demonstrates that with proper resources and with proper treatment, diseases might be treated if they aren't cured.

• Aspirin - a drug which is usually used like an "analgesic" for reducing minor pains, body aches etc.
  • However, aspirins aren't recommended being used by children unless they're advised by their doctor.
  • Now while reading about Bronchitis Treatment, don't you feel that you never knew so much existed about Bronchitis Treatment?
  • So much matter you never knew existed.

Get Optimum Rest

The very best way for fighting these symptoms of bronchitis is to take ample amount of rest possible. By doing this, you'll be able to possess more energy which you need for fighting the infections. Writing about Chronic Bronchitis is an interesting writing assignment. There is no end to it, as there is so much to write about it!

The chronic bronchitis is to be considered very severe then you'll have to do "oxygen therapy." This is a kind of therapy which administers oxygen as its therapeutic modality where the oxygen supply would be heightened. With the use of a nasal cannula or a mask, oxygen would be supplied to us. Keep your mind open to anything when reading about Bronchitis. Opinions may differ, but it is the base of Bronchitis that is important.

Chronic bronchitis does entail long-term treatment when compared to acute one. Medical findings reveal that there's no cure for this chronic bronchitis. The prime objective for us to treat this kind of illness is by relieving you from these symptoms and by keeping off the complications.

Antibiotics - there are some antibiotics which would be prescribed by doctors for treating individuals who're in danger to develop various other complicated matters. Ignorance is bliss they say. However, do you find this practical when you read so much about Acute Bronchitis?

It can't be prevented, there are suggested and prescribed medications like the following: 1. betaz- agonists (inhaled) - this kind of medication will be usually prescribed if chronic cough is present. You or a caretaker must be very cautious of the side effects like trembling and tenseness. Make the best use of life by learning and reading as much as possible. read about things unknown, and more about things known, like about Bronchitis Treatment.

You're a smoker, it'll be recommended to you to discontinue smoking. Substances inside a cigarette have irritants which may contribute for the severity of the cough. It is not always that we just turn on the computer, and there is a page about Acute Bronchitis. We have written this article to let others know more about Acute Bronchitis through our resources.

Since cough might be very annoying, you must find ways to stop coughing. The very effective action is drinking plenty of fluids (non-caffeinated) like water and juices. Studies reveal that water is a best expectorant for easing your cough and it's thin like mucus. life is short. Use it to its maximum by utilizing whatever knowledge it offers for knowledge is important for all walks of life. Even the crooks have to be intelligent!

Some doctors may recommend the consumption of antibiotics. But this is suited only for infections which recur. Also, the usage of steroids like Corticosteroids may sometimes be prescribed to those who may not act according to the recommended treatments. There are few doctors who might not prescribe this kind of medication as it may lead to many side effects. Corticosteroid is used only when its needed.

Try getting enough sleep. If you don't sleep due to the inability to breathe normally, try increasing your bed's head. When you do this, the nasal passages and sinuses would have better amount of drainage and it won't induce a "tickle" inside the throat.

The fluoroquinolones are a relatively new group of antibiotics. Fluoroquinolones were first introduced in 1986, but they are really modified quinolones, a class of antibiotics, whose accidental discovery occurred in the early 1960.

Fluoroquinolones disadvantages: Tendonitis or tendon rupture Multiple drug interactions Not used in children Newer quinolones produce additional toxicities to the heart that were not found with the older agents There is a lot of jargon connected with Bronchitis. However, we have eliminated the difficult ones, and only used the ones understood by everyone. :D.

Classification of Fluoroquinolones As a group, the fluoroquinolones have excellent in vitro activity against a wide range of both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. The newest fluoroquinolones have enhanced activity against gram-positive bacteria with only a minimal decrease in activity against gram-negative bacteria. Their expanded gram-positive activity is especially important because it includes significant activity against Streptococcus pneumoniae.

Fluoroquinolones advantages: Ease of administration Daily or twice daily dosing Excellent oral absorption Excellent tissue penetration Prolonged half-lives Significant entry into phagocytic cells Efficacy Overall safety Sometimes, what we hear about Bronchitis can prove to be rather hilarious and illogical. This is why we have introduced this side of Bronchitis to you.

Because of their expanded antimicrobial spectrum, third-generation fluoroquinolones are useful in the treatment of community-acquired pneumonia, acute sinusitis and acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, which are their primary FDA-labeled indications. The third-generation fluoroquinolones include levofloxacin, gatifloxacin, moxifloxacin and sparfloxacin. We would like you to leisurely go through this article on Bronchitis to get the real impact of the article. Bronchitis is a topic that has to be read clearly to be understood.

Third Generation

The third-generation fluoroquinolones are separated into a third class because of their expanded activity against gram-positive organisms, particularly penicillin-sensitive and penicillin-resistant S. pneumoniae, and atypical pathogens such as Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Chlamydia pneumoniae. Although the third-generation agents retain broad gram-negative coverage, they are less active than ciprofloxacin against Pseudomonas species. It was at the spur of the moment that we ventured to write something about Bronchitis. Such is the amount of matter that is available on Bronchitis. :roll:

Second-generation agents include ciprofloxacin, enoxacin, lomefloxacin, norfloxacin and ofloxacin. Ciprofloxacin is the most potent fluoroquinolone against P. aeruginosa. Ciprofloxacin and ofloxacin are the most widely used second-generation quinolones because of their availability in oral and intravenous formulations and their broad set of FDA-labeled indications. ;)

Because of concern about hepatotoxicity, trovafloxacin therapy should be reserved for life- or limb-threatening infections requiring inpatient treatment (hospital or long-term care facility), and the drug should be taken for no longer than 14 days. We have written a humorous anecdote on Chronic Bronchitis to make it's reading more enjoyable and interesting to you. This way you learn there is a funny side to Chronic Bronchitis too!

Side Effects

The fluoroquinolones as a class are generally well tolerated. Most adverse effects are mild in severity, self-limited, and rarely result in treatment discontinuation. However, they can have serious adverse effects. We were furnished with so many points to include while writing about Bronchitis that we were actually lost as to which to use and which to discard! :lol:

The fluoroquinolones are a family of synthetic, broad-spectrum antibacterial agents with bactericidal activity. The parent of the group is nalidixic acid, discovered in 1962 by Lescher and colleagues. The first fluoroquinolones were widely used because they were the only orally administered agents available for the treatment of serious infections caused by gram-negative organisms, including Pseudomonas species.

Fourth Generation

The fourth-generation fluoroquinolones add significant antimicrobial activity against anaerobes while maintaining the gram-positive and gram-negative activity of the third-generation drugs. They also retain activity against Pseudomonas species comparable to that of ciprofloxacin. The fourth-generation fluoroquinolones include trovafloxacin (Trovan). ;)

The newer fluoroquinolones have a wider clinical use and a broader spectrum of antibacterial activity including gram-positive and gram-negative aerobic and anaerobic organisms. Some of the newer fluoroquinolones have an important role in the treatment of community-acquired pneumonia and intra-abdominal infections. There has been an uncalculatable amount of information added in this composition on Bronchitis. Don't try counting it!

First Generation

The first-generation agents include cinoxacin and nalidixic acid, which are the oldest and least often used quinolones. These drugs had poor systemic distribution and limited activity and were used primarily for gram-negative urinary tract infections. Cinoxacin and nalidixic acid require more frequent dosing than the newer quinolones, and they are more susceptible to the development of bacterial resistance. The results of one reading this composition is a good understanding on the topic of Chronic Bronchitis. So do go ahead and read this to learn more about Chronic Bronchitis. :evil:

Urinary tract infections (norfloxacin, lomefloxacin, enoxacin, ofloxacin, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, gatifloxacin, trovafloxacin) Lower respiratory tract infections (lomefloxacin, ofloxacin, ciprofloxacin, trovafloxacin) Skin and skin-structure infections (ofloxacin, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, trovafloxacin) Urethral and cervical gonococcal infections (norfloxacin, enoxacin, ofloxacin, ciprofloxacin, gatifloxacin, trovafloxacin) Prostatitis (norfloxacin, ofloxacin, trovafloxacin) Acute sinusitis (ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, gatifloxacin, moxifloxacin (Avelox), trovafloxacin) Acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis (levofloxacin, sparfloxacin (Zagam), gatifloxacin, moxifloxacin, trovafloxacin) Community-acquired pneumonia (levofloxacin, sparfloxacin, gatifloxacin, moxifloxacin, trovafloxacin) Writing an article on Bronchitis viral or bacterial priority while thinking of a topic to write on. This is because Bronchitis are interesting parts of our lives, and are needed by us.

Gastrointestinal effects. The most common adverse events experienced with fluoroquinolone administration are gastrointestinal (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, and abdominal pain), which occur in 1 to 5% of patients. CNS effects. Headache, dizziness, and drowsiness have been reported with all fluoroquinolones. Insomnia was reported in 3-7% of patients with ofloxacin. Severe CNS effects, including seizures, have been reported in patients receiving trovafloxacin. Seizures may develop within 3 to 4 days of therapy but resolve with drug discontinuation. Although seizures are infrequent, fluoroquinolones should be avoided in patients with a history of convulsion, cerebral trauma, or anoxia. No seizures have been reported with levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, gatifloxacin, and gemifloxacin. With the older non-fluorinated quinolones neurotoxic symptoms such as dizziness occurred in about 50% of the patients. Phototoxicity. Exposure to ultraviolet A rays from direct or indirect sunlight should be avoided during treatment and several days (5 days with sparfloxacin) after the use of the drug. The degree of phototoxic potential of fluoroquinolones is as follows: lomefloxacin > sparfloxacin > ciprofloxacin > norfloxacin = ofloxacin = levofloxacin = gatifloxacin = moxifloxacin. Musculoskeletal effects. Concern about the development of musculoskeletal effects, evident in animal studies, has led to the contraindication of fluoroquinolones for routine use in children and in women who are pregnant or lactating. Tendon damage (tendinitis and tendon rupture). Although fluoroquinolone-related tendinitis generally resolves within one week of discontinuation of therapy, spontaneous ruptures have been reported as long as nine months after cessation of fluoroquinolone use. Potential risk factors for tendinopathy include age >50 years, male gender, and concomitant use of corticosteroids. Hepatoxicity. Trovafloxacin use has been associated with rare liver damage, which prompted the withdrawal of the oral preparations from the U.S. market. However, the IV preparation is still available for treatment of infections so serious that the benefits outweigh the risks. Cardiovascular effects. The newer quinolones have been found to produce additional toxicities to the heart that were not found with the older compounds. Evidence suggests that sparfloxacin and grepafloxacin may have the most cardiotoxic potential. Hypoglycemia/Hyperglycemia. Recently, rare cases of hypoglycemia have been reported with gatifloxacin and ciprofloxacin in patients also receiving oral diabetic medications, primarily sulfonylureas. Although hypoglycemia has been reported with other fluoroquinolones (levofloxacin and moxifloxacin), the effects have been mild. Hypersensitivity. Hypersensitivity reactions occur only occasionally during quinolone therapy and are generally mild to moderate in severity, and usually resolve after treatment is stopped. :lol:

All of the fluoroquinolones are effective in treating urinary tract infections caused by susceptible organisms. They are the first-line treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis in patients who cannot tolerate sulfonamides or TMP, who live in geographic areas with known resistance > 10% to 20% to TMP-SMX, or who have risk factors for such resistance. Remember that it is very important to have a disciplined mode of writing when writing. This is because it is difficult to complete something started if there is no discipline in writing especially when writing on Bronchitis :evil:

Conditions treated with Fluoroquinolones: indications and uses The newer fluoroquinolones have a wider clinical use and a broader spectrum of antibacterial activity including gram-positive and gram-negative aerobic and anaerobic organisms. Some of the newer fluoroquinolones have an important role in the treatment of community-acquired pneumonia and intra-abdominal infections. The serum elimination half-life of the fluoroquinolones range from 3 -20 hours, allowing for once or twice daily dosing. Having a penchant for Bronchitis led us to write all that there has been written on Bronchitis here. Hope you too develop a penchant for Bronchitis!

Second Generation

The second-generation fluoroquinolones have increased gram-negative activity, as well as some gram-positive and atypical pathogen coverage. Compared with first-generation quinolones, these drugs have broader clinical applications in the treatment of complicated urinary tract infections and pyelonephritis, sexually transmitted diseases, selected pneumonias and skin infections.